Sunday, February 13, 2011

Excel Project

Excel Print Screen





For the past week I have been working on the ISM Excel Project. I took Computer Problem Solving as a freshman and was able to use a lot of the knowledge and skills I learned in this class. The purpose of the project was to arrange and interpret a set of data by using an Excel Spreadsheet.


I was familiar with most of the formulas, however, there were two formulas in particular that I need to further research. The first was a compound formula. In my previous Information Systems course, we used simple formulas that only required one mathematical operations (Addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division). The "Percentage Increase of Heart Rate" was a prime example of where i had to include two mathematical operations (subtraction and division).


Secondly, the "IF" function, gave me a little trouble. For some reason, I was able to get a numerical output responses, but whenever I typed in letters for output, I received and error. After re-watching the letter, I recalled that alphabetical output requires "quotations" around the words.


Lastly, The part of the project that was the most interesting and most useful was the pivot tables. As stated before, I completed an internship two summers ago, and pivot tables were used very heavily. I worked in the Recruiting department, and pivot tables were used to determine the number of offers extended, students who accepted offers, GMAT scores, GPAs, etc. I am definitely going to conduct some further research on pivot tables, before I return to my internship next summer.


Overall I am very please with the Excel project. I know from first hand experience how much corporations rely on Microsoft excel- everything from creating mailing lists, to creating and interpreting statistical output.

No comments:

Post a Comment