Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tutorial 1: Microsoft Office Suite2010




Hello Everyone!


I would like to start off by introducing myself. My name is Walter Idlette, however everyone calls me Tre. I am a Senior majoring in Accounting, and I am originally from Fort Myers. I am taking this class because I want to broaden my technical skills as they relate to information system technologies.


Through this blog entry I am going to present some interesting information about a very well known application software suite: Microsoft Office Suite 2010. I became very interested in the software when I heard the University of Florida had managed to negotiate with a wholesaler to provide not only Microsoft Office Suite 2010, but also, the Windows 7 Operating system and various other application to students for only $15.


Below are two links that provide more insight about the actual purchase agreement between Microsoft and UF, as well as, an article by the Independent Florida Alligator.


http://www.purchasing.ufl.edu/main_contracts-microsoft.asp


http://www.alligator.org/news/campus/article_4b28edce-1f9c-11e0-94d8-001cc4c002e0.html


By watching the lectures on Application Software, I definitely increased my technical and academic knowledge of the software. MS Office 2010, a type of Horizontal Software, can be used across different industries to perform a variety of functions and tasks.


Microsoft Office Suite 2010, is also categorized as a "Software Suite", which means that a variety of individual softwares that share many common features are bundled together. Benefits of Software Suites over Standalone Applications are that training and support are reduced, applications are housed on a shared interfaced, and overall management is much simpler.


*Digital Photo of Microsoft Office Suite 2010 (Office Home and Student Edition)


The University of Florida most likely bought a Site License. This type of license is  for large business and organization that need the software installed on multiple computers.  Another fact, that caught my interest was the life-cycle of a particular software, and how it is constantly being updated. 


I did some research and found 2 interesting sites that provide a lot of historical information and show how the software has evolved to what it is today. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Office
http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/msoffv.htm


Learning the differences between a major and minor version, revision, and build, has allowed me to understand the numerical values better.


Of course, learning about the legal aspect of application software is interesting. By having the user, sign a EULA, they are agreeing to the terms and condition set force by the designer. Nowadays, technology has advanced to the point, that if you violate the EULA, privileges to the application software could be revoked.


All in all, I have learned a lot about the Application Software within the past week. Having the opportunity to download the new technology, as well as, learning some of the fundamental functions has been very rewarding. 


Until the Next Blog,


Tre

No comments:

Post a Comment